Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor


Trilogy: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Books: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Days of Blood and Starlight, Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Author: Laini Taylor
Personal rating: ☆☆☆☆☆ 5

Synopsis "Daughter of Smoke and Bone":
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers. And in the city of Prague, a young art student named Karou is about to be caught up in an otherworldly war. She disappears on mysterious “errands”, speaks many languages, and blue hair grows out of her head actually blue. But who is she? Even she doesn’t know. But she’s about to find out.

Synopsis "Days of Blood and Starlight":
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war. This is not that world. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Karou and Akiva find themselves on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

Synopsis "Dreams of Gods and Monsters":
Two worlds are poised on the brink of a vicious war. By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera's rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her.
When the brutal angel emperor brings his army to the human world, Karou and Akiva are finally reunited - not in love, but in a tentative alliance against their common enemy. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves.
But with even bigger threats on the horizon, are Karou and Akiva strong enough to stand among the gods and monsters?

Review about the whole Trilogy:
I am a really big fan of Taylor's writing. She is a genius in plotting and worldbuilding. I get so sucked up in her worlds, that I always end up having really bad hangovers after finishing her books. Also, her characters always grow on me. Every character is unique with backstory and all. Her plot is always full of twists and turns I totally didn't expect. The suspense never vanishes, I wasn't able to put down the books.

What I love most about Taylor's books is her writing style. She has a very particular way of describing feelings and thoughts, a way that lets you feel exactly what the characters feel. Sometimes I really thought I was in there, in her books and living what the main characters were going through. The thing that most people don't like about her books is the slow build of the story and the poetic way she writes. Personally, it's exactly what I absolutely love about her books. That dreamy way of describing things without losing the reader's attention. 

This trilogy has a good portion of romance. I'm not the biggest fan of love-on-first-sight stuff, but... this one is different and honestly so good. Also, I was, to be honest, a bit sceptic about the angels and demons thing. I didn't want to read a book with demoniac stuff, devils and so on, but I can assure you, it's a totally different and intriguing story! 

There is so much more I'd love to say about this trilogy, but I think I wouldn't make it justice. The experience of reading these books is so unique and fascinating, you need to experience it yourself to know why I love it so much...

Conclusion:
This trilogy has surely become one of my favourite magic worlds to visit!
If you liked Laini Taylor's 'Strange the Dreamer', I really recommend you these books! Same if you love fantasy worlds that never let you go :)

Kommentare

Beliebt

Rezension: "Die Königin der Flammen" von Anthony Ryan

Rezension: "Der Herr des Turmes" von Anthony Ryan

Rezension: Drachensieg von Naomi Novik